Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Stag GIS

Hello John,

I agree that making some details such an address freely available as GIS
attributes will definitely facilitate car theft. In the UK, the chances of
having your car stolen over the period of a year are as high as one-in-ten
in some inner cities, and Stags are particularly sought after due to the
good rate of return when broken for spares. Cars in the UK are also stolen
to order so that they can be spirited away in container trucks to
Continental Europe.

Some years ago, the UK Stag Owners Club used to publish membership
statistics but recognised the problem by summarising by region but didn't
quote addresses.  Depending on your Internet service provider, I think
emails might be safe as an attribute but I'm no Internet guru. Could the
name and address info be included but password protected so that only
legitimate club officials (and the authorities responsible for
investigating car theft?) could gain access?

Regards,
Phil Wardle

'73 Mk II with Mk I doors
Currently in lots of pieces

I still think the GIS is a good idea, though.