Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Alternator Output

Hello all,

I *think* I'm right in saying the the mechanical input demanded by the
alternator from the engine depends on the electrical output it is
producing. If it is lightly loaded (summer driving), it will take less
power from the engine; if highly loaded (winter driving) with lights,
heater, wipers, etc it will take as much as several horse-power.

If you use a Kenlowe fan, in summer there is plenty alternator capacity to
drive the motor, but the load on the engine will nevertheless still be
higher than without it.

Regards,
Phil Wardle

'73 Mk II with Mk I doors