Stag/Stag Digest Archive

ball joints

JOHN
The genuine part GSJ 130 from Rover dealers in the UK has a list price of
16.90 pounds sterling and the quality looks OK.

However, I have a pair from Rimmer (not fitted to my car yet) which look
good quality but which are clearly different from original fitment.  The
boot is made from rubber with clips top and bottom to hold it in place,
this is different from the original which had a semi-opaque flexible
plastic boot.  Rimmers price for these is 16.30 pounds.

This morning I have bought the 'genuine' balljoint from Rover/Unipart and
the item supplied is from a different manufacturer than the Rimmers item,
but looks very similar in quality - including the rubber boot.

I have in the past seen several different makes of manufacture.  I believe
the suppliers send out whatever it is they can buy - probably purchase
price is also an important factor.

These parts do not generally have a long life as they are fitted to the car
with the open end up (covered by the imperfect boot) and no matter what you
do, water gets in and destroys the joint within a few years use.

I guess what you are really suffering from is punitive import duty and
extra layers of profit, somebody is probably still making a bundle
somewhere.

Some years ago I worked with a motor manufacturer, our idea of export parts
pricing was to take the UK list price and multiply by 3 to give a 'local'
list price !!!!!!  There must come a time when the plane fare to the UK
gets to be cheaper than buying over the counter.

In the end I think I would just go for price, and if the part looks
obviously third rate when you receive it, tell the supplier it is not of
merchantable quality and ask for your money back.

Mike Wattam
Triumph Stag Register