Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Ignition Coil

Dear all,

Ignition Coils
----------------------
I have been tinkering with the Stag this weekend and noticed something a
little starnge with my ignition coil.

My car is a Mk1 Stag, which has a separate ballast resitor in series with
the coil. The coil itself is not the origional I think as it is marked up
as a "Sparkrite" coil and is coloured bright red. The only other marks on
the coil are that it is a 12v device.

Is it correct to use a 12v coil when the supply to it is fed through a
ballast resistor? I always thought that the resistor was used to drop the
voltage to 6 normally, but supply full battery potential when starting.

What type of coil do you guys have fitted, and are you all still using the
ballast resistor or have you by-passed it?

Cumbrian Stags
I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has a Stag in Cumbria UK.
I am thinking of volunteering to be the Area Co-ordinator for the S.O.C. as
the position has been vacant for several months, if not years.

David Kirk - Kingston Products Ltd
david@domain.elided
1972 MK1 Stag.