Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Diffy Ratios

Hey Guys,

I could be wrong about this, but I've always understood that the few
Stags fitted with manual transmissions w/o over drive were fitted with
3.45 ratio diffys.

As I've recently fitted a Datsun Z engine and Maxima trans to mine, I
might make so bold that one might consider swapping diffys. There is a
kit to install BMW diffys, which are avaliable in other ratios, and
should be unbreakable.

If mine ever gives out, I might well go to an all Datsun 280Z rear end,
with a superior suspension design, (very Chapman) and a tougher diffy
avaliable with a wider range of ratios.

Really, swapping diffys doesn't sound that challenging.

Kevin Harrop
Los Angeles