Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Fuel pump sound

>Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 12:22:57
>To: Lawrence Schilling <lchillin@domain.elided>
>From: rudibrown <rudibrown@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: Fuel pump sound
>
>At 10:33 AM 2/24/98 -0600, you wrote:
>>Do any of you Stag owners out there ever hear any sound from your fuel pump?
>>
>>I hear a little tick-tick the a pause then tick-tick and a pause.
>>Everything seems to be working fine so I'm just wondereing if this is
>>normal or a symptom of something wearing out.
>>
>>Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Hello Lawrence,
>the sound you hear from the fuel pump is perfectly normal. What happens,
the pump is basically an electrical solenoid enegised by a set of
contacts(which is what you hear clickng). As the pump builds pressure the
points stop energising the solenoid at a predetermined point built into the
design of the pump. This ovibiously prevents the pump from running
continously and over pressurizing the system. When the fuel pressure drops
ie as the engine is running and requires more fuel the pump will
automatically energise again and repeat the cycle. It is that intermittant
clicking you hear. When you do not hear any clicking and the engine will
not run that is when you have a problem. The clicking is usually only
noticable when you first turn on the ignition and if all around is quite.
Hope this sheds some light for you but I would not worry about it, mine
behaves exactly the same way.