Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: [2] Front Suspension Question

Hi
My Stag is bog standard steel wheels and Korean 185HR14 tyres.
I can just get my finger tip, to the base of the finger nail, between the Tyre
and the spring pan.
There should be two tiny shims each .004 thou inch, like paper, bolted in
between the bottom  of the strut to the vertical link (Spider thingy). (In the
parts book and work shop manual they are shown on the wrong (upper) bolts).
The presence or absence and size (thickness) of shims where strut meets
vertical link affects the gap twixt tyre and spring pan very much in my
opinion. Two 004 shims can make, say, an eighth of an inch difference.  (Well
they did on my car)
I hope this helps
Peter Howells