Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Low oil pressure, 12vane waterpump, engine rebuild

Hi all
Sorry about the delayed reply, but I've been away.
I can understand why youo want to do lots of things to your cars. I did when i
got mine. I would however suggest a little restraint.
On the transmision wind up prior to shift, it sounds to me like the downshift
cable needs adjustment.
Regarding going to 12 vane water pump, with so many doubtful pumps around, why
change it? just have your old pump rebuilt if the graphite seal is knackered,
but otherwise leave alone in my view.
Why do you need to fit an oil cooler for the engine? They seem to run fine
without such a mod.
What is low oil pressure? Mine idles at 34 and runs at 49 at around 3500 rpm.
Also unless you have a bad block, i.e. full of casting sand, a standard
radiator set up should be fine. In 33000 miles my car never overheated. The
needle got over halfway once when my water level was down once (Definitely not
recommended as the back of the water pump can corrode and scrape lumps out of
the graphite seal.

Good luck with your overhaul
Peter Howells