Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Low oil pressure, 12vane waterpump, engine rebuild

Fellow stag owners I need help.  I just purchased two stags in the last
month.  I always wanted one and ended up with two.  I have the following
questions:

1) I have low oil pressure at idle in the one car and need to service the
engine, are there some areas that create the low pressure problem in stag
motors?  I plan on replacing the oil pump, main/rod bearings, are there
any other items I should be looking at since the engine will be out.

2) I am planning on going to a 12 vane waterpump, I was told all I need
to do is purchase a TR7 12 vane pump and waterpump cover is this correct
or is there more I need to do?

3) Can I adapt the trans cooler to use as an oil cooler, is there an oil
cooler kit on the market if so where can I get it?  Do I need to get the
radiator recored to a a bigger core to run cooler or is there a bigger
radiator on the market?  Do I want to keep the A/C if I upgrade the oil
and cooling systems?

4) The automatic transmission seems to realy wind up to shift and when it
does the shift is very hard.  Any suggestions?

5)  While I have the engine and transmission out for rebuild what other
items should I upgrade?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Ralph Vrana (rvrana@domain.elided)
Cleveland Ohio
73 stag auto Magenta
72 stag(ford capri motor soon to be stag V8 again) Blue