Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Saab vs Triumph

Thanks for your very interesting comments.

I have had extensive discussions with Saab Sweden on this issue in the
1980's, and even they admit that the current 2.0/2.3 litre is still based
on the old slant four as supplied by Triumph.  They are however in 1997
unable to identify ANY part which remains the same as literally everything
has been uprated and/or redesigned completely, piece by piece.  This has
been done progressively over the years.

This is why it is so difficult to use Saab parts on the Stag.  Now wouldn't
it be REALLY interesting to get their designers to tell us what to do to
the Stag engine?  In the nicest possible way of course.  Hmm, a 32 valve
light turbo 3 litre putting out about 300bhp?  I'll have one of those.

If you would like me to find out anything more I am seeing one of their
directors of long standing in Paris tomorrow (Wednesday) and can talk to
him again.

Mike Wattam
Triumph Stag Register