Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: EXHAUST STUDS

Has250@domain.elided wrote:

> IN ATTEMPTING TO REPLACE THE EXHAUST SYSTEM ON THE STAG I CONVIENTLY BROKE
> OFF  A FEW OF THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD 1/2" STUDS.
> DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON THERE REPLACEMENTS.  MUST THE MANIFOLD BE
> REMOVED AND THE STUDS DRILLED OUT AND RETAPPED.  IF SO IS THERE ANY SECRET TO
> REMOVING THE MANIFOLDS.  THANKS FOR THE HELP
> STUPID MISTAKE IN VA,
> HARLAN

Harlen,
I know this isn't what Stag owners (or any car owners) should do but I,
on occasion and with a Stag, have drilled out the studs that connect the
down pipes to the exhaust manilfold and used a long bolt and nut to hold
items together. You need to hold the head of the bolt from turning while
tightening down the nut but it works, and you don't have to make a major
project out of it. You can get to most of the studs from underneath the
car with the down pipe removed. On other cars I ahve even only used 2
mounting points instead of the three without any exhaust leaks.

Good luck,

Lenny Seidman
--
Lenny Seidman