Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Hard tops

Andrew Burt <andrew.burt@domain.elided> wrote:

> With all the dialogue on hard tops I have more closely inspected mine,
> it actually has a been modified to have a black plastic/vinyl covering
> which I assume is not standard. Can anyone confirm that all hardtops
> should be metal only ? It must have been a kit as it is very nicely
> finished and no problems, I am considering removing it but
> unsure/nervous about whats underneath !
> Andrew
> _______________________

Andrew,

I have a '72 Stag that has a hard top covered in vinyl.  Like yours, it is
very well done - to the point that it looks like it could have come from
the factory this way.  The metal parts not covered by vinyl are body
color, and the vinyl was applied before the rear window seal was
installed.  Before I bought the car I talked to quite a few people that
know about Stags and none had heard of this before.  Some suggested that
maybe it was one of the fiberglass tops that Rimmer sells (they are vinyl
covered) but is definitely a factory metal top.

I did talk to one guy who is very knowledgeable about other Triumphs, and
he said "Oh yeah, that was fairly common - it's definitely a factory job.
They did it for the American market only".  This guy has been around for a
while and is actually a VTR vehicle consultant on another model, so I'm
inclined to believe him.  But, the bottom line is that it's still a
mystery to me.  I'm in no hurry to tear the vinyl off though - it's in
great condition and, well, I kind of like the look.

You're not alone,
Mike Burdick
'72 Stag