Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE: Cooling system mods

Greetings Brian...

I think you're probably right about the OZ leaded vs unleaded, although
here in Texas we have 92 octane (R+M/2) unleaded available from most
stations. But, it seemed to take about 10-12 years after our unleaded law
went in before decent high octane unleaded became very widely available
(hopefully quicker in your case).
The thermostat I'm talking about is used on my '73 Stag and is different
from the earlier models by having a spring loaded disk on a shaft that
extends an inch or so back into the housing when installed. There is a
passage opening right behind the disk that seems to be for warmup bypass,
and would probably cause overheating if the disk does not fit tightly over
it after warmup. My concern was about how close it should be when
installed. It should probably not be under spring pressure as I mentioned
before; a number of cars use a spring loaded valve for this purpose, but
the Stag's water flow seems to be in the other direction! But I still think
that it needs to be less than about 1/8 inch.
Concerning thermostats, an old hotroders trick around here is to drill
holes around the circumference of the thermostat to increase coolant flow.
Temperature regulation will still take place as long as it doesn't get too
cold outside. Five 1/4 inch holes will add about 25% to the maximum opening
of a stock thermostat. This works very well in Fords and Chevys, but I
haven't tried it yet in the Stag.

Robert Ducker