Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Cooling system mods

Mike Wattam wrote:

> <snip> in other words, if your Stag is overheating, there IS a reason
> -finding it might be more difficult!  My guess is if all else fails,
> suspect head gasket weep into the cooling system.  This aids steam
> pockets and stops circulation sometimes.  A Stag foible is that if
> there is air/steam, it will 'rattle' audibly through the heater matrix
> if the water valve is partially open.

Greetings...

My last comments about Stag cooling were based on what I thought was a
general consensus on the inadequacy of the basic design. Based on the
response, that really doesn't seem to be the case, so now I've had to
rethink my overheating Stag! The motor was extensively rebuilt right
after I bought it, including a new crankshaft (one of the thrust
bearings was missing), a new rh cylinder head, new pistons and all the
other usual rebuild items. A couple of somewhat more unusual items, done
in order to keep the original block with the car,  was the installation
of jackshaft bushings and steel sleeves on all 8 cylinders to bring them
back to standard size from a large overbore. The overheating is not
really bad, but I can't use the air conditioning over about 95 degrees
F. I may be missing something simple, but I'm also wondering if the
sleeves may be a source of excessive friction, especially after warm-up.
Has anyone had experience with sleeving a Stag motor after having used
+.030 pistons? My version of the shop manual does not recommend more
than +.020, but the pistons were made by AE, so I assumed they were
(are?) commonly used.

Robert Ducker
'73 Stag (original)
'73 Stag (chevy 350)