Italian Cars/Italian Cars Digest Archive

Weird squeely noises

The other day I got my X 1/9 out an took it for a spin. While making a sharp
lefthand turn I heard this awful squeeling sound coming from the engine
compartment. It had been raining and the road was wet. During my
transmission swap last September, I forgot to put the rubber splash guard
back on.  In fact I can't remember if the guard goes on the drivebelt side
or the transmission side. But I beleive it's the drivebelt side.

Several months ago someone asked why their alternator went dead and their
car overheated when it was raining. And someone answered to check to see if
the splash guard was in place and that the tire might be throwing water onto
the belts.

I thought this might have been what caused this, however....

I got the car out again the other day. As soon as I reved the engine the
squeeling noise was back again. While idling it wouldn't squeel but if you
cracked the throttle it would sound really bad.

After the engine ran for awhile it wouldn't squeel when you reved the engine.

Well today I got the car out again (dry roads), I made another sharp left
hand turn and heard the noise again.

The noise is coming from the drive belt area. I installed new belts shortly
after the transmission swap and never expreienced a squeeling problem until
the other day.

Even though the problem occurred when I first cranked the engine it seems to
happen when I make a sharp lefthand turn while I am throwing the gas to it
in first gear but not at all times. I think the lefthand turn really has
nothing to do with it. I believe it's because the engine is suddenly revved
from a standstill. I seldom have to come to a complete stop in order to make
a righthand turn.

I beleive that I have a dry bearing in the alternator. Does this sound like
a logical source?

Also since I got an A/C (a stinky one at that), I got the split crankshaft
pulley. It took me forever to get the waterpump belt to even tighten. In
fact it was so loose I was going to take the belt back to the autoparts
store, but when I tried to remove it, it magically tightened itself! But I
think it may be a little too tight.

I've heard this noise before on other people's cars but have no idea what is
causing it.

Belt too tight?
Dry alternator bearing?
Cold weather?