Italian Cars/Italian Cars Digest Archive

Re: italian-cars-digest V7 #26

 > "Daniel J. Roach"<Daniel.Roach@domain.elided>
 >
 > >My 1987 X has non-functioning air conditioning.   It hasn't worked since I
 > >bought the car, and I don't know how long it has been non-functioning.
 > >Before I spend the $$ to get it diagnosed, much less repaired, I'd like to
 > >ask the group it's opinion.

Quick check: try turning the A/C compressor clutch plate by hand. If it's
seized, the job becomes ... more interesting.

 > >How well does the AC in an X work, even when repaired?   I drive the car
 > >daily in the summer, in a suit, in and around Boston.

Sorry, I can't answer your question directly. However, I rebuilt the
A/C in my Peugeot 505, using a retrofit refrigerant, and it seems to
work *better* than before. The A/C was minimally useful with the
original R12; now it cools better than the R12-based dual A/C setup in
my Ford van. However, I had to replace all of the French hoses and
O-rings.

The refrigerant I used has a website: http://www.autofrost.com . My only
connection with these folks is as a customer.

stuart hastings
stuart@domain.elided