Italian Cars/Italian Cars Digest Archive

spider starter

My 79 spider becomes difficult to crank sometimes. Sounds like it cranks
slow. I have a new battery and new short battery cable. This car has acted
this way for 10 years. My 81 spider cranks nice and fast. My guess is that
is drawing too much current when it's cranking.

Can I take the starter apart and clean it up the brushes?

I've measured current draw on the '79 when sitting at 14 miliamps. This
would account for memory for radio and clock. My 81 spider draws 15 mils
and doesn't have a radio.

Thad Kirk -tkirk@domain.elided
79 Fiat spider (nice car) with quiet rear-Thanks Bruce.
81 Fiat spider (not nice car)
http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/5479
http://members.aol.com/fiatspider