RE: [ihc] Bigger is Better

Tom:

I guess I need to clarify.  My actual comment was "it sure rides and hauls
loads that the CJ couldn't even think of".  I was comparing a Scout's tow
capability to a CJ, and specifically a CJ5.  I was NOT saying that the Scout
was a good rig to tow with.  In fact, my experience using the Scout to tow
has been just the opposite, except for relatively light trailers, maybe
2,000 lbs or less.  In fact, I'll say that, even though the Scout has a
5,000 lb tow rating IMHO, it is not a very good tow vehicle above 2,000 lbs.
I suspect it can be made to tame such a heavier load with the right
connections and proper weight balance of the trailer, but I really don't
recommend it.  I've had a near death experience doing this myself and I've
witnessed, albeit after the fact, a couple of similar accidents that
involved a Scout towing trailers in the 2,000 to 5,000 lb class.  There are
much better tow vehicles available than the Scout, starting with Travelalls.
And, I believe that misters Thebert and Landry will concur based on their
own experiences.

Like I said, "it depends on how you are planning to use it".

Tom H., '76 Traveler