Re: [ihc] Transmissions - Borg Warner

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 02:49:54 GMT, salmineo@domain.elided <salmineo@domain.elided>
wrote:
> Dave,
> In answer to your first question, the addition of an extra friction and
reaction plate would not be the cause of it not getting above 60-65 MPH.  I
know plenty of people that put the V8 units behind 6-cylinders, with no
difference in performance.  The amount of additional mass is negligible
compared to the rest of the rotating assembly.

I didn't think so, but I figured I'd ask.  It's supposed to make the
unit slightly more "heavy duty" than the stock unit, but that's about
it.  No negatives, but a bit of a positive.  Looks like the problems
are all in the engine.

> Yes, the guy is right, the BW is not on par with a 727.  However, unless you
are into some hardcore stuff, there is nothing that the BW cannot do that the
727 can do, and it does have some advantages.  The rotating mass in a BW is
much less than the 727, which should keep the rate of acceleration up, and
take less energy away from moving the rig.  I know some folks that put a 727
in a former Red Carpet Scout, and it required substantial cutting of the
floorboard, moving the engine up in the frame, and fabricating a crossmember
for the transmission.  Definitely not for the faint of heart.  The BW can be
built to take power if you want.  It is practically identical to the FMX, and
that was used for years behind Mustangs and Pintos at drag races around the
country, at least until newer units like the AOD came out.  You can get
high-energy friction materials for the BW, and Kolene steels if you wish, and
a shift kit, and a high stall convertor if you want, and all of the rest.
Heck, they were installed stock behind AMC 390s in AMXs for several years,
which were some of the hottest factory V8s sold back in the day.  If you want,
you can adapt an FMX in place of a BW, but that again will involve a custom
convertor and a spacer plate between the bellhousing and engine, and some
other stuff that really eats up the time.  I did it on a '67 Rogue that
belongs to a fellow in my AMC club.  It was interesting, but once we got
beyond the initial cheap cost of the FMX purchase price and the dust settled,
it actually cost more than just using a stock BW and building that.  What I am
saying is that if you have it done right, the BW should last longer than you
have the Scout, and will not require a bunch of extra work and time and sweat
and Scout butchery.
> -Colin Rush

If you consider mail delivery "hard core" then I am into some pretty
hard core stuff.  Not that I'll be running a 500cid Caddy engine or
something with 500hp or running the rig up to 120MPH, but I'll upshift
from 1st to 2nd, over the course of my route (figure 3 hours) about
600 times.  Maybe 550 on a "good day" right now, but with about 130
houses under construction I'll be doing probably close to 700 upshifts
daily by the summer.

You've convinced me to stay with the BW (Scout butchery is bad enough,
but is unacceptable on my galvanized Postal rig), but given the
description of what I do, are *any* of those enhanced parts likely to
help me out in any way?  (Also, I *do* realize that the best solution
is to get a route with a USPS supplied vehicle.  But there's about 38
people ahead of me in seniority...)

Dave