Re: [ihc]...property rights

Tom Harais wrote:

one coworker put it yesterday, "Think of what you're neighborhood would look
like if everyone had an old car (note that term "old car") sitting in their
driveway.  That would look junky".  This line of reasoning, that we need to
act collectively to prevent anyone from doing anything that is visually
Actually, I think it'd be darn cool if everyone in my neighborhood drove a variety of '70 Chevelles, '69 Z/28s, '57 Chevys, Biscaynes, 'Cudas, 63 Corvettes, etc.

I think it would greatly improve the neighborhood. :D

----

In Montana, we have (like many other places, but less so than SoCal) a "Junk Vehicle" law, which I think I ranted about not too long ago. ;)

Junk Vehicles are defined as "pieces, parts, or whole" of a vehicle that is "non-operable" AND "not-licensed" and visible from the "a point 6' above the center of a publicly maintained road"

Now, when the County sent me a notice about my "junk", they included pictures of alleged junk.. and the pictures were NOT taken from a point 6' above the center of the county road.. they were taken while TRESPASSING on my property.

Montana has this fun little "permanent registration" bit at the moment. I just bought another Scout II (that's vehicle #19, and the 8th Scout II).. I licensed it yesterday for a whopping $106 - for life. Never again will I need to pay a visit to the County Treasurer.

Earlier this year I permanently licensed every pile of junk on my property, zip-tied the plates with the "PERM" tag on 'em to each carcass, and then called the County back to confirm there is NO JUNK on my property, since it's ALL licensed.. PERMANENTLY.

Ironically, licensing everything from here to eternity was considerably cheaper than the 6' privacy fence I was planning on putting up to hide my "junk".

More ironically, I have no desire to put up said fence now, and whichever neighbor felt the need to complain must have realized by now that the Scouts are NOT going away, and they're not going to be hidden now. :D

I've also purchased a number of NO TRESSPASSING signs, and have insisted that the next time the County wants to harass me for "junk vehicles" I want the pictures to be taken from a point 6' above the center of the publicly maintained road (NOT from my property, and NOT from the public right of way that is privately maintained that resides entirely on MY PROPERTY) to prove that the "alleged junk" really is visible.

If they can't see it from from the public road, they can't enforce the Junk Law.

My wife mostly supports me in my antagonistic compliance with the law, but she really isn't overly fond of the parts-Scouts in full view (nor am I, but it's the principle now).

She also suspects that sooner or later there will be a new County Ordinance enacted.. perhaps they'll call it the "Mandera Act" in my honor.. and this loophole will be closed. ;)

The gentleman near Townsend that had 50+ vintage automobiles shined up and waxed in his front yard along the highway never got harassed.. but then, they weren't farm equipment..

Hmmm.. maybe if I claim I'm FARMING my 2 acres I'll receive special consideration for keeping my "FARM EQUIPMENT" to support my "FARMING OPERATION"..

.. there actually is a seperate clause in the Montana Code with regard to a private vehicle graveyard for purposes of supporting an ongoing *ranching* operation.. so maybe I need to buy a goat first..

-Tom

Latest view of my field..
http://tigger.tmcom.com/~tsm1/postnuke/modules.php?set_albumName=122004YardField&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php