Re: [ihc] alternators

----- Original Message -----
From: <spamaddy@domain.elided>
To: <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 17:52
Subject: RE: [ihc] alternators

> I concur, that sight had some GREAT alternator info.  So, I got a new
> alternator today.  I installed it, but before hooking up the battery I
> checked for continuity and it's still there.  So I removed the alternator
> and there is still continuity between the rear battery terminal and the
> case.  Something seems really wrong here.  I should have checked it
straight
> out of the box, but I didn't.  I couldn't have possibly bought a new one
> with the same problem, right?  I couldn't have possibly fried this new alt
> since the battery was never connected, right?  There's NO WAY there should
> be continuity between the battery terminal and the case, right?  I'm goin'
> nuts here.

There should be continuity between them, but *only* in one direction.  The
diodes should stop that.  Thus, you need to get a multimeter and measure
using the diode test function.

Current should be able to flow from the case to the terminal, but not the
other way around.  IE, postive at the case hsould flow to the terminal, but
positive at the terminal won't flow to the case.  So if you run a test light
from the terminal to the case, it should light up because the case is
grounded.  But if you take the wire off of the terminal and run the test
light from the wire to the terminal, it shouldn't light up.

-Ryan

---