[ihc] Interesting mineral with an automotive history link

While we camped in Lovelock, NV a couple of weeks ago, we saw quite a number of samples of Dumorterite, a mineral mined in the Lovelock area until 1929 by Champion, the maker of spark plugs. The Dumorterite was used to make the insulators for the Champion spark plugs.

Champion quit mining it when they found some other material that was better, or cheaper, or ???

It's still used as jewelry stones by some folks.

John

John Hofstetter
Ol' Saline
www.goldrush.com/~hofs