Re: [ihc] Scout II front end question

----- Original Message -----
From: "John M. Adams" <jma@domain.elided>
To: "John Hofstetter" <hofs@domain.elided>; "ihc-digest"
<ihc-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2004 18:42
Subject: RE: [ihc] Scout II front end question

And
> in my case, with the flat stock having been replaced with angle iron,
that's
> probably all it's good for! Protect the tie rod, and eventually break the
> upper shackle mounts, or something else...
>
> > I have home-made extended shackles on my Terra and no sway bar anymore.
> > There are some who believe that the bar diminishes articulation
> > off-road. Looking at the bar, that kind of made sense to me.
> >
> > John
>
> That makes sense to me, also. I'm going to remove the angle iron before I
> get this truck back on the road, and see how it handles. (So far, I've
only
> driven it at the end of a tow strap, a short trip across town.) Do you
think
> leaving the brackets in place as the inside shackle halves will allow for
> fair test of drivability? If there's no appreciable "shimmy", I'll likely
go
> with an aftermarket set, and leave the bar off completely. What's the
> maximum recommended extension before getting into driveline, brake, and
> steering modifications?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John A.

There's no reason not to run with the inner shackle with the bar mounts.
Besides, that lets you mount a bar up if you come across one.

I ran my '78 without one for a while, but ended up putting it back.  I
probobly should take the one off of the diesel though, it's bent.

Any amount of shackle lift will negatively affect your handling.  It's up to
you to determine how much you are willing to accept.  I personally would
rather not have any.

-Ryan

---