Re: [ihc] Weekend Chores?

Peter Ferris wrote:

PF> #2) Just-A-Swayin' : Somewhere between the time I ditched the old worn 33"
PF> Super Swamppers for brandy new 32" Goodrich AT something-or-another's, there
PF> has been a wicked swaying of the Scout. Earlier this month, I bought new
PF> tires, shocks, and got an alignment (I did the shocks myself), tires &
PF> alignment happened at once at a respected tire shop chain in the area. I
PF> requested that when the guy did an "alignment" that he check components for
PF> wear & tear. He pronounced it all "good". Hmmm, I wonder. I can hold the
PF> wheel straight and feel a distinct and occasionally strong swaying (left to
PF> right, front to back - oft along a diagonal). This isn't constant, but
PF> noticeable on acceleration, passing big trucks, cross winds, etc. New shocks
PF> didn't really affect this problem. The guy at the tire shop called it
PF> "scary". I thought he was talking about the usual slow meander which I've
PF> become used to. This is a more rapid sway.  Sometimes it reminds me driving
PF> a boat across a small wake or something.

What did the alignment show for your caster?  I have very sacked out
original springs on my IHWillys(years of snow plow duty and it had a
winch).  As the springs sag, the caster can/will change.  My Willys
exhibits similar to what you describe though I've never found it
"scary", just something that kept me on my toes.  I need to replace
the springs or put in shims or something as the caster is negative
which lends to such ornery-ness.

I've found it is related to the road.  There is a section of road near
here that is deeply rutted from all the garbage trucks(on the way to
the dump) and it acts this way every time I drive over that section of
road.

Ken