RE: [ihc] Annealing copper

At 8:08 AM 10/22/04, Jim Grammer wrote:
> [...]

If you get copper or brass up to 9000 F. it will be annealed to dead soft,
regardless of how long you hold it there of how quickly or slowly you cool
it. 900F is considerably less than 'red'.

Below 900 F, copper/brass will anneal to one degree or another over
time---the lower the temp, the longer it takes it to go dead soft. IIRC,
this effect starts at about 5000 F, no change at all below 500F.

Only way i know to HARDEN copper/brass is via work hardening,
cold-working--rolling, etc.

Greg