[ihc] It's Getting Better All The Time...

Greetings All,

Today was fairly productive. I got started on the Scout around noon.
Finished the shocks (did all 4, installed rears this afternoon), put in some
Rancho 5000's. VERY nice compared to what was there - some leaky milked
Rough Country's. Next, a trip to NAPA and got a set of bearings and brake
pads & shoes. So far, I didn't need 'em. But I'll wait to see what the other
side is like before I return 'em. Just got the driver side done, will do
other side tomorrow afternoon. The bearings were in very good shape, so why
the wheel wobble/slop? I noticed as I removed the two largish spindle nuts
(I'm sure there's a better name, but...) that they came off V-E-R-Y easily.
Too easily! Hmmm...

BTW, what size socket is required for those spindle nuts? Maybe 2 1/16? 2
1/4? Still, even just doing one side, I took it out for a spin when I was
done (I ran out of daylight, so I called it a day), WOW, what a joy! *MUCH*
better. I predict the other side will fix the residual slop. When I had it
up on jack stands, I'd say I could wobble the wheel, in & out, probably
about 1/4" or so. The old gasket fell out in 3-4 pieces. Need to get a
"real" gasket. I made a pretty good one out of some thin gasket material,
but...  Anyone know the real name for that thin paper "star" gasket (not the
inner rubber seal)? Hope they're available separately and I don't have to
buy some Warn "kit" for $130, etc. I'll see how my homemade one works out
before I do that! The shocks made a *WORLD of difference* too! No more
loosing dental fillings just running to the supermarket, no more bone
jarring stuff, as if I'm in Grave Digger rolling over school buses
(non-Binder buses, I'm sure! ;-))!

The DBC will prob have to wait until next weekend. MAYBE tomorrow, we'll
see, but checking rear brakes, pass side bearings, etc; will come first. In
the worst case, DBC fails hardcore, I have stuff onboard to bypass it, so no
worries. Amusing sidebar: With improved shocks, DBC intermittent episodes
down by maybe 60% or so!!! Railroad crossings are no longer to be feared.
Yes, I WILL, nevertheless, have to fix it!

Just wanted to give a progress report to those following it, Tom H, Steve S,
Tom M, Howard, et al; many thanks.

Happy Trails,

--Pete