RE: [ihc] About those parking brakes ..... and government interfe rence....

The stuff I have piled on the
bed and stuffed inside the bus are...exempt.

Allan:

You've mentioned this before, and I think it's great.  Shows the stupidity
of such ordinances when the above is true.

In my own case, a neighbor brought a race car home and was parting it out in
his driveway.  He covered the thing with a tarp while in this process.  He
had what amounted to a little, covered pile in his driveway.  When a
neighbor (the enforcement folks won't tell you who it was) complained and
"Neighborhood Improvement Services" came to do enforcement, he brought home
the trailer for the race car and moved it onto that.  It took up twice as
much room in the driveway as the covered car did, but because it was on a
registered and licensed trailer, there was nothing they could do.

I was with this neighbor when he showed before and after pictures to the
city council and pointed out how ironic it is that a large, ugly trailer
taking up the driveway is legal, but the race car sitting covered is not.

This City passed a new ordinance effective October 1st that says you can't
have a boat, RV or motorhome parked in the street, even in front of your
home, unless you are actively cleaning, working on it or loading or
unloading it.  AND, even then it can't be there for more than 24 hours.  The
proponents complained that RVs in front of homes are nuisances and unsafe.

Now, my neighbor drives a delivery truck and parks in front of his house
every night.  How is that different from a motorhome parked there.  Since
you can see my licensed, registered and insured Scout from the street, I'd
guess it's only a matter of time until I'm forced to move that to where it
can't be seen as well.  Is a Traveler considered an "RV"?

It's only a matter of time, until the yuppies do to this city what they did
the city next door:  Get an ordinance passed that won't allow you to have a
boat, RV or motorhome parked anywhere on your property where it can be "seen
from the street".  This in a city that bills itself as "gateway to the
delta".

Yeah sure, so long as you hide your boat that you take on the delta from
view.

Of course the proponents say that cars are OK, boats are not. Besides, the
claim, if you can afford such toys, you can afford to store them somewhere
else.

My friends with motorhomes in storage tell me that they get burglarized and
vandalized there.  And, it isn't the stuff that gets stolen that costs, it's
the repairs to the doors or windows that get smashed to gain entry.  I
wonder if the "antis" are willing to pay for that?  My insurance company
tells me that a motorhome stored off my property will incur a heavy premium
increase due to the high cost of claims from such activity.

Tom H., '76 Traveler