Reply: [ihc] Wish us luck with IVAN

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 DeepSouthScouts@domain.elided wrote:

Well gang,

We have spent the morning  racing around to find last minute supplies. We
were pretty well prepared, but more is more :~) and you can never have too much
_____ in a hurricane. The eye is "projected" to strike the MS/AL line about 10
miles from casa Toney.
Mike:

I know you have nothing else to do - but one of my hurricane tips (never seen it in writing) is to take 4 (or what number will fit in your freezer) *new* gal jugs of water, drain 1 quart from each (to keep the plastic jugs from being split by ice expansion) and freeze them.

If you have enough time and gal water jugs, freeze some and place in the refrigerator also.

As you well know, the ice will make help maintain cool temperatures in your refrigerator/freezer should you lose your power.

And if the ice does melt in the jugs - then you can always drink the water, and won't have to wipe up ice melt from the bottom of your freezer

Even during non-hurricane season, we don't buy baged ice any more for our ice chests/coolers, just freeze the 3 quarts of *new* water, and drink it after it's melted - after keeping everything else in the coolers cool.

It really cuts down on the mess in keeping food in coolers while traveling.

HTH

--
Ted Borck tborck@domain.elided