[ihc] Driveability (Idleability?) Issues

My '67 (?) 1100 with a 345 and a Holley 4150 has developed drivability
issues.  It'd developed a surge at idle where it will rev from about 700
rpms to about 1300 (or higher), on about a two-second cycle.  Waiting at a
stoplight, it will gallup up and down like I'm taunting the car next to me
to race.  Some other details:

 * Has mechanical fuel pump

 * Has 727 auto.  Kickdown thing has never been hooked up.

 * Truck has mechanical pump yet

 * Problem gets much worse as engine warms up

 * No apparent surging if I open the throttle a bit off idle.

I haven't put any scopes or meters to it yet.  Where should I start?

Jim Camery