Re: [ihc] rocker arm bolts

spamaddy@domain.elided wrote:
Well, I'm getting close to having my 345 back together! It's all very
exciting. I'm reinstalling the rocker arms, and I ran into 2 quandaries.
First, should the rocker arm mounting bolts be replaced? The manual
mentions that the bolts should have a "nylon pellet". I know that some
sealant should be used on the threads, but should new bolts be ordered (from
an engine shop I suppose)?
I've never replaced mine.  Dab of #2 Permatex is all you need.

Second, the manual also states that the notches in the rocker arms should
face down when the supports are installed correctly.  On my '72, the notches
are on the top.  I'm assuming it has never been rebuilt and came from the
factory that way, but it seems peculiar.  I did take the rockers arms all
apart (I'm a nut for cleaning things), so I just wanted to check before I
put it back together.  Should the notch be on the bottom or top in y'alls
experience?  Or does it even matter?
The oil holes go UP for one style of rocker arm, and DOWN for the other style. Your manual may be "updated" for the later rockers.. or it's an old manual talking about the old rockers and not the new..

Either way, look at the rocker arm to see where the oil needs to squirt.