[ihc] Hot under the collar.

   Last week, on my way home from work, the Scout overheated. Evidently,
the thermostat stuck shut and she REALLY got hot! I had to call the tow
truck and have it towed 50 miles home.
   Once home, the radiator had a leak, (that has been there for a while,
just a seep, really.) and the top radiator hose was leaking around the
radiator outlet. So, I sent the spare radiator out to get patched. The
guy I used, near me here in Town, said he would do a New 3 core recore,
remove the side tanks, remove the mount flanges and silver solder the
flanges back on, then rebuild the rest of the radiator with all now
solder joints for $250.
   After reinstalling the new radiator, (I just had my old one patched
up. I'll do the new core next time) with new top, bottom, and by-pass
hoses, I started the truck up. I immediately noticed that there was
allot of bubbling in the radiator.
   After changing the oil, I let it warm up. When it got warm I noticed,
first, a puff of white smoke, then another, then 2, then 4 then a steady
stream of smoke.
   SO, after calling all around me, I had to call Northern Auto Parts
for a Fel-Pro Head gasket set. Had it 2-dayed to me and got it today.
   Today, I broke down the whole top end. I had a weeping expansion plug
in the back of the head, so; I managed to find 5 steel plugs in the
stores here around me. I'll replace all but one in the front.
   Also, since I have all this apart, I will be putting my square bore
intake on in-place of the spread bore.
   I have something to do tomorrow, so I won't get the truck back
together till Sunday.
--
Dan Nees <cookiedan@domain.elided>