Re: [ihc] Milage question

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Bongo" <dbongo@domain.elided>
To: "IHC Digest" <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2004 22:30
Subject: [ihc] Milage question

> I've been tracking the milage on my Scout, and I've noticing an odd
> phenonom.  When the truck is run every day I get good milage (definied
> at 7.5-8.0 mpg on 87 octane gas).  But if it sits for 1 or 2 days
> between fill-ups, it drops way down.
>
> There is a slight gas smell (or, if you wish to be grammatically
> correct, "gasoline odor") around the rig.  So, my questions would be:
>
> 1> Could enough gas evaporate to make a difference?
>
> 2> What could be the cause of the smell?

Sounds like you have a leak somewhere IMO.

> I've got a 33 gallon tank, with most of the vent lines welded shut.
> One leads to a charcoal cannister which isn't even hooked up correctly
> (the nipple for the vaccuum line is broken off, so it gets just the
> tank and carb vents) and the other dead-ends and is blocked.  I've
> also got a new, locking, non-vented gas cap.

I'd disconnect the remaining lines and get a vented cap.

> The only possible thing I can think of is the complex menagerie of
> pipes (some sort of vapor recovery thing) that is connected to the
> filler neck and tank...except it's not connected to the tank.  I
> haven't popped the panel off the interior of the rig yet to inspect
> the setup, so it is just a theory.  Any other ideas?
>
> Oh, as for the difference:  I gassed up on 8/7 and 8/10.  In that time
> (which included one Sunday where the rig didn't move) I got about 8.5
> MPG.  My next fill-up was on 8/21 (yes, a whopping 11 days) and I got
> under 7.4MPG.  Game gas, same station, heck, I even used the same
> pump.
>
> Dave

Some of that could be atmosphericn and temperature changes.

BTW,  the dieseling can also happen if your timing is too advanced.  Can't
explain why, but BTDT.  The timing issue would also explain the difference
in milage between regular and premium.

-Ryan

---