[ihc] Knurling pistons

On Aug 17, 2004, at 7:31 PM, salmineo@domain.elided wrote:

Knurling pistons in IHC V8 motors was actually a recommended procedure in a booklet published by Hastings in the late 1980s. It was done to help reduce piston slap, and to help retain more oil on the skirt and reduce scuffing. The booklet was a collection of different procedures to fix certain problems inherent to different motors by different manufacturers. For IHC they offered that, and also a method to improve oil pressure on the older SV and 4-cylinder engines.
-Colin Rush
Thanks Colin for the IH view on the procedure. Back in the late 50's, 60's and 70's Perfect Circle was THE name in piston rings. May not have been the best, in fact I never had much success with them because they were chrome plated and didn't seat well for me, but they were highly advertised and much asked for by those having rings replaced. When I used chrome rings, I also brought home a can of Bom Ami.

Anyway, the automotive machine shops with whom I dealt also offered piston knurling which somehow also had a connection with Perfect Circle. Maybe PC furnished the knurling equipment, or .......

As I was thinking about doing automotive machine work then, I was thinking about the pretty big sacrifice I made to buy a vernier caliper to speed up measurements as compared to a regular micrometer. $129 comes to mind as what I paid. The other day, I bought Franklin Arsenal digital calipers for my sons and me and paid $20. Hmm. On the other hand, I was paying $.19 per gal for gas and now I'm paying $2.19/gal. Interesting and sometimes frustrating world we live in.

John

John Hofstetter
Ol' Saline
www.goldrush.com/~hofs