[ihc] RE: Knurling slugs

>Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 10:19:03 -0700
>From: John Hofstetter <hofs@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: [ihc] Re: David's "diesel" 258

>Is anyone else on the digest old enough to have pulled out pistons and
>knurled them, put new rings on them and stuck them back in ?

Not exactly, but my B-102 pickup has 5 knurled pistons. When I brought it
home and fired it up, there was a death rattle in #4 hole. ID was by
stethoscope and then pulling the plug wire. Pretty sure that's what got it
parked in the walnut orchard. Yanked the piston, knurled it was. Used to be
a 'quick' fix for a bad overheat that collapsed the piston skirts a bit.
Stuck a new standard bore piston and rings in, and it's been going strong
ever since. The new piston weighed something like 6 grams more than the old
one. That sounded like a lot, so I called my motor machinist. He said 'In
one of those engines? Just run it'. He was right.

Jim