RE: [ihc] RE: 800 4 speed

At 1:20 PM 8/16/04, Jim Grammer wrote:
> [...]

The MAIN shafts are all the same EXCEPT for the spline, shoulder, and
thread on the back end of them--Ford, IH, etc. I have even built a T-19 on
a T-18 mainshaft, although the two are slightly different. You need the
MAIN SHAFT from the Scout T-19 to mate the end result with a D-20.

The GEARS mounted on the mainshaft VARY, however. Best to keep at least the
second and third speed gears that came with whatever countershaft you are
using together with it.

The INPUT shafts are the key part here. length, clutch spline, and number
of teeth on the input gear are the key factors. BUT--input shafts from
T-18's and T-19's are interchangeable. (NOT so with a T-98, the needle
pilot bearing for the mainshaft is different on a T-98.) In a pinch, if you
got the wrong ratios (but the correct case) from a Ford T-19, you could get
a 17 tooth input shaft from a Ford T-18 and modify THAT to work with the 4
cyl Scout bell. At some point, though, you MUST have a wide ratio T-19
cluster gear and wide ratio second and third speed (mainshaft) gears that
go with it.

Easier just to modify whatever Ford input shaft you happen to get, they are
VERY close to the right stick-out length for a 4cyl Scout bell.

Using the Ford shaft will put you into a Ford clutch disc. Which leaves the
situation of adding tapped holes to the 4 cyl flywheel for it to take a
larger diameter clutch--or, likely easier--having somebody neutral balance
an SV flywheel, and just going to an 11 inch clutch (with a Ford,
1-1/16"-10 spline, hub).

SOMEBODY--do the SV8 and 4 cyl crank flanges have the SAME bolt pattern ??? :-)

You NEED an input shaft which has the correct gear for the ratio set in the
tranny, whether that be Ford or IH. 17 tooth input gear for the wide (6.29
:1) first gear. Some of the Ford T-19's (those from diesels, at LEAST) have
different ratios--such as about a 5.4 first gear--and I THINK an 18 tooth
input gear, so PAY ATTENTION !!! :-)

Greg