Re: [ihc] RE: ihc-digest V7 #575

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 08:07:01 -0700 Jim Grammer <jgrammer@domain.elided> wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 00:20:41 -0700 "Jay W. George" <jwgeorge@domain.elided>
    wrote:
> >I have noticed that when digesters reply to another message in the digest
> >that it is son neat and tidy.
> >Ex: Where the reply includes the original message in a nice format.
> >Is there a trick to this?

> Hofs has a little secret....he's Mac based. For PC, Eudora performs sorta
> like he describes. It also lets you 'paste as quote', a basic and neccessary
> function that I have yet to find in Outlook.

there are two other secrets:

1) some of us read individual messages instead of digests. this means
you get more individual email messages during the day, which some don't
like, but it also means that you can "just hit reply", like i did just now.

2) the digest is in a somewhat standard format, and some email clients
(not including outhouse, er outlook) know how to explode digests back
into individual messages, after which you can "just hit reply" (the last
one i used that had this is the old gnu emacs RMAIL program, which
has the "undigestify" command for exactly that purpose.)

richard