Re: [ihc] RE: Motoring along with Tom

Jim Grammer wrote:
Great results on 85 octane, very impressive! I have long suspected that the
I *do* think altitude has a bit to do with it.. but then, as you drop in altitude, the "cheap stuff" goes up in Octane.. so as long as I don't fuel up with 50gal of 85 and then coast down into Death Valley, I should be alright. ;)

The GOOD news is that with this ~9.5:1 engine I'm running a points
distributor with a Pertronix Ignitor, and I set the static timing at
More pertinent to this discussion, IMO, is the total timing @ 3000-3500RPM.
Got any idea?
No, other than both vac. and mechanical advance works. I neglected to wind it up to 3k or so and eye-ball the total timing. I'll try to remember to do that sometime in the near future.

You, more than most of us, could *really* use a cool air intake! Keep the
TAC for winter-friendlyness, but maybe whack off the end of the horn and
plumb some fresh air from ????
After seeing a 87-91 GM TBI air intake system adapted to an IH, I'm thinking that's the route I want to take. It's designed for a TBI, which runs the same air horn as our 4bbls and 2300s.

The setup resembles a plastic "can" on top of the "carb" with a 3 or 4" pipe coming out the side to a cone filter.

I'm leaning towards either the easy "headlight" air, or maybe routing it down lower to the bumper area, since it's primarily a highway hauler.

I'm even pondering an air dam when I lift the truck and convert to 4x4 (the lift being incidental to the 4x4 conversion).

I did consider cowl induction for a bit, but since I have the rear of the hood open for ventilation, the cowl induction doesn't seem like such a good idea.

I *could* close the hood correctly and louver the sides then chop the center for the cowl induction.. but it's a lot easier and cleaner to just leave the hood unmolested and opened for ventilation, with a cold-air intake to the front.

A re-routed intake has been on the list, just hasn't made it to the top. :D

chamber only), Isky 256/262 grind (12" of vacuum at idle.. <VBG>),
That's a lower idle vac than I'd have expected. Is that grind adding a fair
amount of valve overlap?
Comer seemed like he expected my ~12" at idle. I *do* have the idle a bit low, hovering between 650 and 700rpm. Part of the equation is my altitude - we live between 4k and 5k, and I don't think I dropped below 4k the entire trip (and if I did, I didn't think to check the idle vac.) It IS a bit of a cam, too.

Motor pulls well, but REALLY pulls over 3000rpm. If I start a hill just over 3k, it'll accelerate up it. Just under 3k? It's attrition.

Using DaveSr's actual head flow figures from *stock* 392 heads (vs. my ported heads), DesktopDyno has torque leveling off and dropping a touch from a 457lbs-ft peak at 2000rpm to 441 lbs-ft at 3k, but at 2500 it's at 214hp, while 3k is 252hp, 3500 283hp. 80% VE at 3500rpm. Peak of 300hp @ 4k. Really likes 3k+

I *hope* my ported heads do a little better. One of these days I need to take a bunch of stuff to my friend's chassis dyno..

Ironically, plugging in the stock IH grind STILL shows a big jump from 2500 to 3000 to 3500. 208/246/274hp with torque 437/431/411 lbs-ft

> Any thoughts on whether blocking off the exhaust

crossover helps or hurts at this point(cooler charge temp vs. even
distribution)?
NO idea. Seat-of-the-pants says the engine felt a lot stronger this year, vs. last year. BUT.. I had 1000+ more miles on it before I left, I had the lifter assembled correctly (getting closer to the "right" valve lift and timing on #7 and making sure the valve closed fully), I dumped both stock mufflers and the rear-dump cast-iron manifolds and put on Stan's headers and dual Thrush Turbos.

So I changed enough in addition to the LPG intake gaskets that I don't have a good feeling for the difference.

I was just hoping to stop boiling the fuel out of the Edelbrock (yes, I run an insulating spacer).

Preliminary mileage figures fluctuate from 5mpg to 9mpg..
Ouch.
Yes, Ouch. But, in my happy, rose-tinted world, that's really 10-18mpg.. since it was one truck burning gas for TWO. :D

When's the last time you saw 18mpg in your Scout? :-)

I have a bad feeling that I'm going to find that the "slow" sections of road where I was on a 2-lane, or laboring over passes and around windy bends, or otherwise NOT hauling @$$ at 75mph will be closer to the 9/10mpg mark, while the stretches where I was making time will lean more towards 5mpg.

I tried watching the vac gauge during the trip.. and sadly noted it hovering around 7" the majority of the time.. which, as I understand it, is right at the point where the secondaries open up on the 1405.

I still don't have my air/fuel gauge installed. I'll try to get that taken care of before next year and watch the mixture a bit closer under real driving conditions so I can adjust the carb as needed. I went 1 stage rich on power and cruise before I left, since the plugs were white, and I refused to let my new 392 melt down. ;)

I managed 10mpg to the BinderBash at 75mph, but I wasn't towing anything. That was also on the stock jettings, and with only 5deg advance.

I think my trail Scout was part of my problem - it just sits too high and blocks too much wind. :D

-Tom