Re: [ihc] Vinyl tops on pickups?

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Rocky Lear wrote:

> I was lookig through trucks on ebay and somone was selling a 69 or 70
> pickup with a vinyl top(!). How common was this? I had never even heard
> of one before. what models were involved?

Often (without seeing the truck I cannot say more), these are just
simcons (simulated convertable), or landau tops.

At basic level, a layer of foam is glued over the painted metal, then a
layer of vinyl or cloth is glued over that.  Add trim at the front, back,
and sides...and you're done.

There may be a variety of ribs (simulated bows) added, or grooves, or...

But that's the idea.  Folks have it done on trucks and cars.

...of course, there have been true convertable conversions available as
well for trucks...but that's probably not what you're seeing.

--
        David Raistrick    http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
keen@domain.elided	   http://www.expita.com/nomime.html