[ihc] Track bars

>Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 11:13:11 -0700
>From: Joel M Brodsky <jmbrodsky@domain.elided>
>Subject: [ihc] Ford front ends?

>So, if you make a leaf spring front end on a Ford truck, as I've seen all
>too often, why keep the track rod?

Since newer leaf sprung/solid axle Ferds have a track bar(AKA Panhard rod),
FMC has apparently decided that positive lateral axle location(which the
springs alone cannot provide) is desirable. While track bar movement does
induce some lateral displacement of the axle, it's minimal(owing to the
length of the bar and small arc distance traversed by the axle end)and
readily accommodated by the spring/track bar bushings. While controlling
lateral 'wander' of the axle, it's likely that the track bar also dampens
oscillations. Far from being harsh, the front ride quality of Jan's
track-bar-equipped Excursion is quite good. This in a PSD equipped truck
with some pretty darn stiff(by neccessity) leaf springs. It rides and
handles a whole heck of a lot better than my 1210 T-all(IH content).

Jim