[ihc] RE: Pickin' cherries

>Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 10:03:36 -0600
>From: Tom Mandera <tsm1@domain.elided>
>Subject: [ihc] Ed's Hoist

>Y'know, one of the things filtering it's way to the top of my "list" is
>the acquisition of a pickup-bed mounted "crane"/hoist.

Awful handy. I have a utility box(not mounted) that has a massively
reinforced hoist mount on the right rear corner. I'd like it to become a
trailer with drop-down support feet at each corner, so I can move it into
position and unhitch if needed. Install a hoist, put a vise on the other
side and a full height tailgate that drops down into a workbench, and you've
got a mobile fab/work station. My oxy/acetylene rig could live in one of the
tall toolboxes. Then I'd just need to find a screamin' deal on a
generator/welder to carry in the bed :)

>I find my cherry picker rolls quite poorly in the dirt (and usually
>requires a Scout II to help motivate it under such conditions).

Mine went to live in the yard, I hardly ever use it anymore. Now that I have
the forklift, I can move my big hoist frame pretty much anywhere it'll fit.
Failing that, I have a smaller take-down A frame that's big enough to pick
an engine out of most anything.

>Solution: install a hoist in the pickup. :D

>Might have to buy a flatbed IH 3/4T 4x4 just to mount the hoist to.
>Sounds like a good enough excuse to buy another rig to me...

If you go that route, build a gin pole rig. Super versatile. *That's* a good
excuse to put a big ol' winch at the front of the bed.

Jim