[ihc] Stopping Leo

>Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 08:14:52 -0700
>From: "Leo Horishny" <horishny@domain.elided>
>Subject: [ihc] Off topic brake question

>I understand many here are do it yourself brake mechanics, but I'm not and
>as we were looking for something to
>tow a 4 horse trailer

Wow, not sure I'd want 4 horses behind even my 1210 Travelall. Guess it
depends on how massy they are ;) 4 quarter horses = 45-4800#, and what does
one of those trailers weigh? 3500# at least for an aluminum unit, prolly
higher.

What I'd do is have the el-cheapo place quote the complete job, including a
wheels-off inspection so they catch *all* the parts that need replaced. Then
you have a valid comparison for your SO. Any shop that doesn't(or
won't)provide a 'do not exceed without authorization' estimate a)doesn't
deserve your businss and b)is probably violating state law. The estimate is
supposed to be a good faith effort to capture all foreseeable charges.

If you can hang around and be nosy while they write the estimate, you'll
learn a lot about the quality of the shop. You'll also pick up on anything
they miss that the other mechanic said needed replaced. No doubt their
estimate will 'grow' far beyond the $99 special price, which typically just
covers changing pads/shoes at all 4 corners. *Everything* else that is
normally part of a top quality brake job is an extra charge, down to topping
off the fluid.

Back in the day when I was a grease monkey/tire buster/battery tech at
Sears, a complete brake job was exactly that. Every car through the brake
bay got new pads/shoes, new hardware kits, machined drums/disks, fresh
packed wheel bearings, fluid flush, etc.. All performed by a high level
mechanic with some real experience. Somehow I think those days are gone at
most chain operations :(

Jim