[ihc] Pete got shafted

Pete,
      The rear driveshafts are different lengths from automatic
transmission and manual Scouts, so be sure to ask for that when you get
yours.
Take your lifetime u-joints and change them out at the store.  Tell them
that they are vibrating, but make sure you have greased them.  If no
grease, they won't give you new ones.

      The driveshafts being rebuilt usually will run you about $100 for a
re-tube as suggested.  The cuts are usually like $10 each and the welds are
like $25-35 each from my experience.  If you want new ends (each side of
the spline and/or yokes, the parts run between $20 and $45 each.  So, a new
driveshaft brand new made custom could be right around $200.  To get yours
fixed, I'd plan for $100.

      A used shaft from a shop/yard with or without u-joints (which are
always suspect) should run you about $25, unless the guy knows about or
thinks that scouts are super rare and then it'll be made of gold for
something much higher in price.  I've seen a guy in a yard here want $100
for a usedy in the yard.  He's crazy, but he has a lot of those
driveshafts.  Hmm, who's buying when they're that expensive anyway?

So, $200, $100, and $25.

      Your call.  Hope this helps.  ;)

JoelB