[ihc] Weird engine problem - calling the experts

Ok, I haven't posted here in a while so I hope this goes through.

I rebuilt the heads on my Scout. Actually they aren't the same heads, the old ones were cracked so I got new ones at a junk yard and had them rebuilt and Magnafluxed (sp?) etc.

So I got the engine all back together and we can't get it to run smooth. I really have to mess with the choke to get it to run at all until it warms up, then it still runs bad.

Here's what we've checked:

My friend who is a real mechanic :) pulled the intake manifold back off and replaced it making sure that all seals and gaskets were good. He also replaced the plug wires and air filter. Still ran bad.

I took it in to a local garage. They are considered one of the best around. They looked it over and said I needed a new Carb. Well, I wanted a Q-Jet anyway so I got one. Still ran bad.

They also suggested that maybe one of the valves wasn't closing so I pulled the valve covers off and ran each piston up to TDC and felt for tightness in the push rods. They all felt fine. So, I ran a compression check. Every cylinder is around 120-150 dry.

I put it all back together and it still runs bad.

So, here's a detailed description of how its "bad".

I start the Scout fully choked and it fires up and revs quite high. Then it will settle down and threaten to stall. So, I pump the throttle a bit and it revs way up again.

This cycle repeats until it's warmed up. Now, I had it warmed up this morning and as it sat there idling, Every once in a while it would backfire through the carb. And once, out of the blue, it revved way up again.

I am at my wits end here. If any of this is ringing a bell with anyone, please help

Thanks in advance
Scott