[ihc] NW Binders May Tech Talk and Scout Raffle

Sorry to blurb here, I am trying to reach all our members in a hurry

Tech Talk is on May 15th at 10:00AM

 I have always felt a little weird about having technical sessions on my
rigs, feeling like I am getting all this free help.  So, with the club
appointing me as Technical Officer, I thought long and hard about how I
would make this successful, and make the Northwest Binders a club that has a
lot to offer to all of its members.

I have four vehicles at my place to start with outside of my SSII and
Project Expedition:

'          A 1972 4x2 Postal Scout II with a 266 6-Cylinder that I need some
body parts from for Expedition when it returns -- but it runs.

'          A 1971 800B 4x4 345 that was a runner and just had an overhaul
and threw a rod and has sat since then.

'          A 1965 Scout 80 Fulltop that is complete except for Engine and
Transmission.

'          A 1965 Loadstar 1600 Beavertail Flatbed Car Carrier with a 345
and a good body but no floor.

Well, here it is:

We are just over two years from the 15th Anniversary Roundup.  I propose
that we take these four vehicles, make them the focus of the technical
classes, and build one very nice Scout II and possibly a Scout 80 on a Scout
II frame that we raffle off at the 15th Annual Roundup.  What to do with
these new trucks?  A Daily Driver?  A restored Postal Scout? A Trail Rig?
That will be the subject of our first tech class this year, to be held on
Saturday, May  15th at 10:00AM.  We need to inventory what we have, what we
think of what we can come up with, and determine what we can do in the time
before the Roundup.  Rebuild sessions will be potluck in terms of eats.

There are a few details to work out.  Christine and I will donate the
vehicles to the club and cover the cost of the vehicles.  We will also
insure them and put them in suspension so they are fully covered as
non-street driven vehicles during the rebuild, and, of course, they will be
at our place to work on.  Mark Ashford will be heading over here this month
to move these Scouts up to the garage area out of the lower fields.  The
club Secretary/Treasurer will need to set up a separate ledger for the
raffle. The current thought is to sell tickets at $20.00 apiece between now
and the 15th Roundup so that everyone can buy tickets over the course of the
rebuild, instead of just a few tickets at the Roundup.  The Ledger would
record all purchases, so if something goes wrong, the money can be refunded.
If just 12 tickets (average attendance) were sold only at the club meetings
between now and then, we would raise $6,240.00.  Subtract from this any
costs for parts that cannot be covered from club members stockpiles and
scrounging around, and possible vendor donations, and we would have a nice
boost to the clubs treasury.

Wed hone our IHC Restoration Skills, wed save a Scout, wed add funds to
the treasury and someone gets a free Scout (Minus Licensing, Title and
Taxes).  Added bonus, your Technical Officer has no guilt.

Yes, Digest Members can buy Tickets once they go on sale

Please send mail to dukkha@domain.elided requesting directions

Robert Eggleston