[ihc] Re: Welders

Regarding the fumes from galvanize, I'm surprised Jim didn't mention it, but
the 'antidote' of choice for galvanize fume exposure is milk. A good friend
was taking down a large fence that had galvanized posts, using a cutting
torch. Although he was outside and it was breezy, he still got plenty enough
to get sick as a dog that night, sick enough to end up in the ER. After
telling them the story, they gave him 'something' (don't recall what) and told
him if he had to do something like that again, to drink lots of milk. Later,
somewhere on the net I read the same thing, so I figured there must be
something to it. Apparently something in the milk 'binds' with the zinc and
carries it out of the body. Just another fact you'll probably never need to
know....
Dennis

> Welding galvanized stuff produces some really dangerous noxious fumes.
> Can make me sick really quickly.

>Galvanizing is a process that uses mostly zinc for coating.  Brass is a
>metal that is made of mainly copper, and zinc.  If you over heat >the brass
the greenish smoke is zink that is >volatizing.  Same sickness as welding of
>galvanized metal.
Jim A.