Re: [ihc] RE: Steve's fiddly gasketology

Jim,

Right stuff works.  I'm not sure why but we've converted over to Permatex Red.  I think the Red is a bit easier to remove but not really sure on that.   It sure seals well.  My engine has no valve cover, oil pan, water pump, or thermostat gaskets.  I did use the steel gaskets between the intake manifold and the heads.

The big thing though is the mis-fit of the cover.  Try a dry fit and see if you have the same gap on the front and the back that I did.  My valley cover was original and was not damaged or changed from original in any way, except being painted.

If you have bolt holes to seal, like the flywheel bolts or some of the bolts around the heads, we've had excellent results with Permatex Teflon Thread Sealer.  It is a white viscous liquid that you paint on.  Man, this is way messier than Never Sieze.  But it has never failed to seal.  And, you can use it as a thread lubricant so you can torque bolts while using it.

Keep us posted.

Steve

Jim Grammer <jgrammer@domain.elided> wrote:
>Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 07:34:15 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Steven Stegmann
>Subject: Re: [ihc] Flattening valve covers?

>Here's how to do the valley cover gasket.

Steve, what about that magic Right Stuff? No joy? ;)

Thanks for the tips,

Jim