[ihc] Trading a T98 for a T-35

Since my 392/406 is almost back together, I'm nearing the moment when I pull my loaner 392 out and stuff in the 900-mile rebuild and get back to breaking it in some more and haulin' more Binders around.

"While I'm in there" I intend to remove the hydraulic clutched T98 and bellhousing mounts from my '74 Travelette, and replace it with the correct "non-tranny mounting bell crossmember" and "tailhousing transmission mount crossmember" from the '74 200 4x4 I parted out.

When the 392 goes in, it'll be mated to a T-35 5spd direct from a Loadstar (Essentially a close T19 with a 7:1 granny added on). This should work MUCH better for towing than the wide T98. I'm gaining a lower low gear to get loads rolling, and gaining a MUCH more desirable hill-climb-friendly 4th gear ratio of 1.41:1 (vs my current 3rd of 1.7:1).

Fortunately, the Loadstar clutch/bellhousing is also hydraulicly actuated, so I'll keep my hydraulic conversion (correct 74/5 is cable).

What IS different is the rear output of the T-35. My T98 (and the two 74/75 truck T19s lying around) has a typical yoke with, I suspect, a Spicer 1310 U-bolted joint.

The T-35 has a flanged rear output. I suspect this is directly related to the now-missing parking drum assembly. One day I may get up the motivation to work out a parking brake assembly again using a disc brake, but not today.

I did get a Spicer 2-2-479 flange to yoke adapter today that should be the right part to convert the flange on the T-35 over to a 1310 U-joint.

I'm sure someone else has done this conversion before and can confirm, but it sure looks like the T-35 is an inch or two longer than the T19s I have, which means I'll need to pull the whole 2-piece driveshaft (this is a 2wd truck with 166" WB!) and have it shortened. Bummer.

Otherwise, I expect the swap to go well. Might even get those Stan's rear-dump-replacement headers installed while I'm at it, since the crossmember swap will let the headers clear.

Hopefully I won't have to customize the shifter to clear the dash when I'm done. :)

Still haven't decided what to do with the PTO unit. It's currently on the passenger side, facing rearward. I suspect this may be in the way when I get the NP205 mounted later. Perhaps I'll swap it over to the driver's side at that point, and see about a PTO winch.. though I'm also tempted to look into a generator head, mount it on a receiver stinger in such a fashion that I can put it in the receiver and attach it to the PTO shaft, and have a portable generator. :)

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'74 200 Travelette - not going 4x4 just yet, but getting a built 392 and 5spd