Re: [ihc] Starter update

John,

I got one from el-cheapo rebuilders and put 12 volts to it while it was just laying on the garage floor.  Maybe 1 or 2 seconds.  Bearings were already hot.  Took it back and then got one from Navistar.  The one rebuilt by AC Delco didn't do that.  Been in there for years now.

Steve

John Hofstetter <hofs@domain.elided> wrote:
On Thursday, April 22, 2004, at 09:28 PM, Allan Ericson wrote:

> Michael-
>
> It could also be the bearings in the starter. Anything that could
> cause the
> starter to bind in place can cause this. If the starter is not properly
> tightened, or if you have an automatic with no spacer ring, or if you
> have a
> spacer ring with no automatic. In other words, alignment.

Allan,

I can't picture how bearings would cause the starter to stick when
Michael is running the starter outside the vehicle.

John

John Hofstetter
www.goldrush.com/~hofs