Re: [ihc] RE: Automatically David

Hydramatics are very strong.  I have one in my '55 Pontiac with a
high-perf 380.  There are several versions but the basic one is very
common.  It was used in GM products, Bentleys, tanks, large trucks,
etc.  They do not have a torque converter, only a fluid coupling.
Thus the four speeds, first gear is a very short, get the vehicle
moving gear and then second is shifted into.  They are direct drive
fourth.  Almost always uncooled, so they transplant well due to not
needing external cooler.  Basically, keep fluid in them and they will
take a huge amount of punishment and keep on going.  And Ryan is
correct that they allow the vehicle to be push started.  They have two
pumps, one driven off input, one off output.  This is what allows the
push/pull start.  One aspect I'm not too fond of is the fluid
coupling.  It is a two piece affair.  The front half is the flywheel,
which is bolted to the back half using 36 bolts around the perimeter,
with a gasket in between.  I had the joy of doing this and then it
leaking.  Then doing it again with still a small leak.  Third time was
the charm.  Trans case is cast iron/steel so it is VERY heavy.

Ken