[ihc] That bad bounce does it every time! The long and SHORT of it.

Reapers,

   Last week I got into Good and headed to work, at 5 AM as always. About 5
miles down the road I hit a bump and the dash lights blink out. Sons of
B***hes, I think.

   I stop at the first WaWa and change the fuse out with a new one, and
about 500 feet down the road I hit another bump and, Blink, out go the
lights again.

   So, all the way to work in the dark. Next day, I put in a new one and
that lasts to the end of the driveway.

   At this point I figured I must have a short, probable a connector in my
trailer wiring came apart. So, Friday, I stopped at my local electrical
supply house and bought a 500' spool of 12 ga THHN stranded.  Normally, I
would have tons of this on the job with me, but; not this job.

   I went home and pulled the rear wire harness plug off and put in a new
fuse, it stays lite now, so; my short is in the rear harness. No, problem, I
decide to just replace the entire rear harness. I pull off 7 wires a bit
longer than the truck and pull them through the frame rail starting at the
large round hole just behind the shock mount to the second to last hole at
the rear of the truck. (I probable should have gone to the end, but; didn't)

   I crimped standard male spade connectors to the engine side and, after
coating them with No-Ox I stab them into the individual slots in the
firewall side of the old connector. In the rear, I pulled each new wire up
to the closest point of termination on the light sockets and such and butt
spliced them together, with No-Ox on the wires, and taped them up.

   Turn the lights on and.... No Short!

   Now, where was the short you might ask?

   Any Scout guy with a rusted tub knows this answer.......

   Passenger side body mount, the wires are routed under the body mount and
over the frame side where they get crushed when the passenger mount
dissapears. I had to jack the body up just to pull the wires out from
between the mounts!

Dan Nees

cookiedan@domain.elided